Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Umtanum Creek

I have loved the Yakima Canyon since I first drove through it in April, 1975, on my way to an army training course on counseling that would eventually have a profound impact on my life.

Umtanum Creek, which flows down a long side canyon into the Yakima River, has become one of my all-time favorite places.


Pedestrian suspension bridge across river from parking & picnic areas along Canyon Road
 
 
 
 
 

Cacti, ~2" high. This may be the same group that I photograph every visit.
 
 

The old Northern Pacific line from Seattle & Tacoma comes over the mountains from Auburn via Stampede Pass, then follows the Yakima River to Richland, where it turns north to Spokane, before heading through Montana to Minneapolis-St. Paul.
 

About a mile up river from the Recreation Area, I found an empty tank train coming towards me. BNSF's Stampede Pass line is now used to move various trains of empties East.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: